Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Mommy guilt

I was recently asked if it is normal for moms to have a nagging, underlying sense of guilt. I don't know how "normal" it is but it is very common, at least for me. It all starts with parenting magazines in those doctor office waiting rooms when we are eagerly waiting for our prenatal checkups. They show glowing women perfectly balancing a fifty pound diaper bag, a perfectly clean toddler, all while cooking organic meals, working as a CEO of a Fortune 500 company while being adored by a model looking husband.....and then reality hits.  Motherhood is full of spit up, loss of sleep, an extra twenty pounds that WON'T go away and guilt. Guilt is a funny thing. It's irrational but persists nonetheless. Guilt that I couldn't breast feed, guilt that I can't be a stay-at-home mom, guilt that I HATE volunteering for school functions. Realistically I know I can't live up to those girls in the magazines. They have hairstylists and air brushing to hide the circles under their eyes. My boys are healthy, smart and well mannered. They love the Lord despite my lack of daily Bible studies with them...(which is a goal of mine). Will I continue to worry that I don't spend enough time checking homework and baking whole grain, organic, faux chocolate chip cookies?  Answer is yes. But I know the only perfect parent is God and He will provide what my boys need, even if I'm too tired sometimes to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment