Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Our Journey to Debt Free Living... Inexpensive Christmas Ideas

I have to brag a little... this month we have paid off TWO credit cards!!! Small steps to meeting our goal of being DEBT FREE! Small changes in our lifestyle and better decisions are allowing us to put these bad decisions in our past.

With Christmas coming up very soon, we are making plans and checking them twice in order to stay on track financially. Here are a few things I am doing to plan for a great, inexpensive Christmas:
  • Make a list and check it twice! I have made a list of things my kids have asked for over the last few months and researched prices online for the best deals.
  • Limit presents to the most wanted, not everything wanted. My kids ask for things all the time, as most kids do. I limit Christmas to the top five or so presents. I have learned that if they get what they really want, not just the quantity of presents they appreciate it more. Besides, we want our kids to understand that it is Christ's birthday, not theirs.
  • Don't buy trendy presents... We are a video game free home. We don't spend lots of money on games or toys that will be out of date or "uncool" within six months. Think traditional.... blocks, board games, sports equipment. I want my kids to be creative, not parked in front of the t.v.
  • Handmade presents.. .I love to bake. You know what my extended family members are getting now! I also crochet simple things such as scarves, potholders etc. Simple and useful.
  • Books. I buy several slightly used children's books on Amazon for very little to keep for extra presents. We always end up having 2-3 extra kids around for holiday get togethers... this way, they will always get a present too. If I don't give them all away for presents, my kids get them... Win-win situation!
I am so ready for Christmas this year! I can't wait to bake cookies with the boys, read the Christmas story, and decorate the tree. I believe that my kids will remember those things in the future much more than expensive toys. I know I do.
You can never go wrong with nerf guns at our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment